Chur's history of wine-growing reaches back 2000 years. It was the Romans who brought vines from southern Europe to the province of Rhaetia. Documents from the 12th to the 14th century are evidence that the vines were thriving throughout the Middle Ages and that there were extensive vineyards at the foot of Calanda.
The so-called "Neubruchtorkel", built in 1604, houses the biggest wine press in eastern Switzerland with a 14.5-metre-long cross beam. Since 1984 the wine press functions as a museum exhibiting the rich wine culture of Chur. The documentary film "From Vine to Wine" depicts the year of a vintner. Booking is required.
The wine museum is also a perfect venue for social events like company socials, family gatherings, birthdays and reunions, but also cultural events like readings or workshops. More information about Torculum as event venue
Guided tours from min. 8 participants
CHF 120.00, with audiovisual show, approx. 1½ hours
each additional hour +CHF 50.00.